Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Month Fifteen - Saying Goodbye Part Three


  Well, I am not sure how many more parts there will be to the tagline "Saying Goodbye" on my posts because it is looking like things are for sure going to be dragging out now. I'm going to keep it though because it will be interesting to look back and see how long this process actually took. For now your guess is as good as mine.

  I quickly finished Bubba's life book in July after we were told he would be leaving rather soon because I wanted to make sure he would have it to take with him to his new home. Guess I will just have to print out additional pictures that I have taken and will continue to take before he leaves. The picture I chose for the front of the book is my favorite of him as a newborn taken just a few days after he came to our family as a tiny two week old. Sure wish I could show you the whole shot!

  Like I had said in my last post, I take lightly now what my case worker tells me. The latest update was that the paperwork still has not been received by the ICWA (Indian Child Welfare Act) unit so our case worker is still in charge. Originally I was told we should get the new case worker around August 22nd. We won't be getting the ICWA case worker until the paperwork has been received AND thirty days have passed. Not sure why it is taking so long to get the paperwork through and also not sure why there is the thirty day rule. I am assuming nothing will really happen until the case is in the ICWA unit and we have the new case worker, so that could be another month plus. I'm amazed at how long just about everything takes in the system but I am also learning to get used to it. Once again, there is nothing we can do about it so we wait patiently. 

  At first I felt like a quick transition would be the best for our family and for Bubba. I remember thinking and telling my mom when we were in the thick of it that it's good in a way that we don't have to drag this out and we can begin to heal once he is gone. Well... here we are and that didn't happen! But what am I suppose to say really? I do try to find the good in every situation and now ours has changed. So, I am grateful that we get to have Bubba with us for an unknown amount of days/weeks/months. I am grateful that God has given us the peace and patience that we really need right now. I am grateful that Bubba is at such a fun stage at the moment and we would have never been able to experience him like this if he had gone when we thought he was going to. I am grateful that even though we are left in the dark again I don't feel stressed about it and God keeps reminding me that he is still in control. 

  We sing this song (The Lord Our God) at church and the last time we did the words in one of the verses stayed on my heart and they have given me peace... 

"In the silence, in the waiting, still we can know you are good.
All your plans are for your glory, yes we can know you are good."

  I've been asked a few times now if we will continue to foster once Bubba leaves. Jake and I have both been very sure in the fact that we will. We will be taking a break because of our new baby expected in November and then we will just wait and see from there. We will keep renewing our license until we decide to get back on the list. I really don't have a timeline as to when we would be open to another foster child because it depends on a few things. Even though it's been a rocky road this first time around being foster parents there have also been parts of it that have been a lot smoother than we could have imagined. Bubba has been a very easy going baby with no medical or other issues and I know that is not typical with a foster child. He has been an amazing sleeper since one month old and that is also not the norm. Everything about him being in our home has been really great and I think I can even say really easy. Learning about the system and dealing with everyone involved has been the tough part but I think that it's also because this is our first time getting used to it. Now that we have experience things won't be as surprising the next time around but we will have to prepare for a more challenging time at home because I think any child will have more issues than our little guy, because he has had zero:) Thanking God for that.

  Now that Ivy is going to Kindergarten I have had a lot of one-on-one time with Bubba the past few weeks. It's been so fun to grow our relationship as he is growing in his little personality. Here are just a few shots of the little/big guy at home.


This boy sure has a good arm! He's gotten so good at throwing a ball recently. Love these three next shots, typical daddy/Bubba play time routine.



Recently Bubba has been climbing into his bucket of books then getting stuck, he cries until one of us comes and gets him out. Well just seconds after I took this picture he climbed out all by himself, I was so proud:)


My brother Evan and sister-in-law Amber had us over to their place last weekend for swimming and a BBQ. Their sweet dog Jilly was so patient with the kids, she hardly even moved a muscle even with all the fur pulling and sitting on that she endured:)



No comments:

Post a Comment